Print Semantic Indexer
Alexander Street is an award-winning publisher of electronic databases and collections in the humanities, located in Alexandria, VA, recognized by our customers and peers for producing products of outstanding quality. We see understanding customer needs and delivering high quality and innovative products as the root of our success.
We have openings for Print Semantic Indexers to capture metadata for our online text & image documents. Our digital collections cover a wide range of disciplines that include women’s studies, psychology & counseling, science, history, and engineering. The Indexer will follow AACR2 and RDA content rules and use Classification Web to find authorized name and subject terms. The Semantic Indexer will apply metadata to a wide variety of manuscript and monograph content types.
- Knowledge of Metadata and applying searchable terms to text content.
- Experience working with online systems both commercial and proprietary.
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week.
- Be able to work on-site or remotely. Remote workers need reliable internet connection and own computer.
- Ability to communicate via Skype IM and participate in group forums.
- Experience with LC authorities.
- Experience cataloging using MARC format following AACR2 and RDA standards.
- Completed a course in cataloging.
- Cataloger's familiarity with European languages (French, Spanish, German, Italian, and Portuguese), highly desirable. This means a practical cataloging familiarity, not a full reading or speaking knowledge: ability to recognize the different languages, recognizing words representing articles (A, An, The equivalents) and numbers, recognition of acceptable diacritics for the language, etc.
- Ability to work with a computer continuously for long hours.
We offer a convenient location near old town Alexandria. Email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.