- Products and Services
- Product Listing A-Z
- What's New
- Australia & New Zealand
- Counseling and Therapy
- Dance and Music
- Science and Medicine
- Social Sciences
- Resource Center
- Press Room
- Single Titles
- Contact Us
Alexander Street Debuts Streaming Video Series of Milgram's Defining Experiments in Social Psychology
Alexander Street Press announces the addition of a six-film series featuring the innovative and often controversial experiments of social psychologist Stanley Milgram. This set is available for the first time in streaming format exclusively through Alexander Street.
The series centers around the defining experiments of Milgram’s career, most notably his revolutionary study on obedience to authority. The film Obedience includes the only authentic footage of Milgram’s famous 1961 experiment, in which subjects at Yale University were told to administer electric shocks of increasing severity to another person. The stunning results of the experiment, which showed that sixty-five percent of participants administered the experiment’s final massive 450-volt shock, remain relevant more than fifty years later as people continue to ask themselves, “Would I pull that lethal switch?”
Other films in the Milgram series include:
- The City and the Self — A combination art and documentary film exploring the concepts of urban overload, selective attention, and cases like the murder of Kitty Genovese.
- Conformity and Independence — An examination of psychology’s primary findings on why people conform, obey, and dissent in various social situations.
- Human Aggression — An exploration of the major scientific principles governing human aggression, using examples from a youth gang to illustrate how aggression is learned and expressed.
- Invitation to Social Psychology — An overview of the guiding principles of social psychology, including reenactments of experiments from renowned researchers like Asch, Bandura, and Zimbardo.
- Nonverbal Communication — A collection of expert interviews discussing research theories on nonverbal behavior including gesture, expression, and body language.
A preview of this series can be found on the Alexander Street Press YouTube channel. Videos from the Milgram series are available individually or as a series, and can be purchased online in streaming video format or as DVDs.
For more information on The Stanley Milgram Films on Social Psychology, or to order, visit http://alexanderstreet.com/milgram. Qualified faculty and library staff may request trial access and pricing information by emailing sales [at] alexanderstreet [dot] com. To request a reviewer copy, please contact Abby Horowitz at ahorowitz [at] alexanderstreet [dot] com.
About Alexander Street Press
Alexander Street Press is an electronic publisher of award-winning online collections and video for scholarly research, teaching, and learning. Our products are available to libraries and educational institutions worldwide via annual subscription or one-time purchase. Learn more at http://alexanderstreet.com.
Contact for Media Inquiries/Reviewer Access:
Abby Horowitz, Marketing Writer
Alexander Street Press
3212 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
ahorowitz [at] alexanderstreet [dot] com