- Products and Services
- Product Listing A-Z
- Subscription Channels
- Health Sciences
- Music and Performing Arts
- Social Sciences
- Visual Arts
- Support Center
- Press Room
- Free Resources
- Single Titles
- Contact Us
Asian Film Online Series
Asian Film Online is a multi-part online streaming video collection of more than 1,000 narrative feature films, documentaries, and shorts. With Asian voices addressing Asian issues, and through works selected by Asian film experts, the collection offers highly relevant perspectives and insights. Its themes—such as modernity, globalization, national identity, female agency, inequalities in opportunity amid social and political unrest, and cultural and sexual identity—are central to any meaningful discussion of Asian culture.
Whereas tracking down these hard-to-find films individually is a time-consuming, expensive, and complicated process, Asian Film Online brings this trove of high-quality resources straight to your library in one cost-effective, easy-to-use online interface.
This series is valuable for scholarship in Asian studies, Middle Eastern studies, political science, postcolonial theory and criticism, anthropology, and linguistics. The works also explore a wide variety of cinematic styles and techniques relevant to the study of film, literature, and the visual and performing arts.
Asian Film Online: Volume I
Asian Film Online: Volume I features more than 600 hours of film from across the region. More than 75 percent of these titles stream exclusively in Asian Film Online, and more than 60 percent are award winners. Twenty-four countries are represented, with a strong concentration on China, India, Iran, South Korea, and Southeast Asia.
The collection features internationally acclaimed directors as well as those rarely seen outside their native countries. Filmmakers include:
- Xie Fei, an award winner from China (A Girl from Hunan, Black Snow, A Mongolian Tale)
- Iranian new-wave director Dariush Mehrjui (The Cycle, Pari, The Lodgers)
- Leading Indonesian director Garin Nugroho (And the Moon Dances, A Poet, Bird Man Tale)
- South Korean feminist documentarian Kim Soyoung (Koryu: Southern Woman, New Woman: Her First Song, I’ll Be Seeing Her: Images of Women in Korean Cinema)
- West Asian (Middle Eastern) filmmakers: Iran’s Majid Majidi (The Color of Paradise, Baran), Lebanon’s Jocelyn Saab (Kiss Me Not on the Eyes), and Iraq’s Shawkat Amin Korki (Crossing the Dust)
- Sri Lankan directors Prassana Vithanage, Asoka Handagama, and Dharmasna Pathiraja
- Plus Tanvir Mokammel (Bangladesh), Adoor Gopalakrishnan (India), Kim Dong Won (South Korea), and James Lee (Malaysia)
Other highlights of Volume I include:
- More than 30 films highlighting Persia’s rich history and the diverse societies that define the country, each paired with a contextual video introduction from a leading film scholar or expert.
- Fourteen significant films made by “sixth generation” filmmakers, as discussed by Dr. Sun Shaoyi and Li Xun in their book Lights! Camera! Kai Shi!: In-depth Interviews with China’s New Generation of Movie Directors
- The Water Cries, a 16-part series produced by CCTV in China, which examines the largely untold story of water rights in China’s past, present, and future.
Asian Film Online: Volume II
Launched in 2014, Volume II is growing to deliver 500 additional hours of film along with 5,000 pages of text focused on the featured films and filmmakers. The second volume features works from 70 countries across Asia, including more in-depth coverage of Turkey, Hong Kong, Afghanistan, and Vietnam.
Highlights from Volume II include:
- Feature films from the rarely seen region of Assam in Northeast India, including works from Jahnu Barua and Utpal Borpujar
- The complete works of Vietnam’s Dang Nhat Minh, not available together in any other collection
- The largest available collection of films from Sri Lanka’s Sir Lester James Peries, winner of the Fellini Gold Medal at the 2003 Cannes International Film Festival
- Behind-the-scenes footage with award-winning Chinese filmmaker Zhang Yimou, including a detailed look at the creation of the opening and closing ceremonies at the 2008 Beijing Olympics
- Films from Iranian feminist Tahinineh Milani, whose controversial works address women’s rights and include award-winners like The Unwanted Woman, The Fifth Reaction, Two Women, The Hidden Half, and Ceasefire—one of the best-selling Iranian movies of all time
Asian Film Online is available on Alexander Street Press’s online interface, and provides an array of features to enhance teaching and learning.
- The collection is indexed to meet the specific search needs of faculty and students in film and Asian studies. Search and browse filmmaker, country, language, genre, theme, original language, and other criteria.
- Unlike physical DVDs, online streaming makes it easy to queue up video for in-class or assigned watching, and allows unlimited simultaneous viewers on-campus or off.
- Clip-making tools, personalized playlists, and annotations let you integrate content straight into your syllabus or LMS.
- Synchronized, searchable, scrolling transcripts run alongside each video, enhancing navigation and access.
- View a full overview of all of the features on the Asian Film Online interface here.
Asian Film Online is a multi-part online collection of streaming video available to libraries via annual subscription or one-time purchase, with pricing scaled to your institution. Volumes are available individually or as a series.
Background Information about Select Films
Background information about select films from China featured in Asian Film Online: Volume I
Background information about select films from Korea featured in Asian Film Online: Volume I