- Products and Services
- Product Listing A-Z
- Subscription Channels
- Health Sciences
- Music and Performing Arts
- Social Sciences
- Visual Arts
- Resource Center
- Press Room
- Single Titles
- Contact Us
Classical Music in Video
“An outstanding addition to ASP’s other video databases in the arts, and an excellent selection for libraries supporting serious students and researchers in the arts.” ‒ Library Journal
"Best Reference of 2012" ‒ Library Journal
“This product offers stable access to high-quality content that professors can depend on. Summing Up: Highly recommended.” ‒ CHOICE
“The best films of performance teaching that I have ever seen.” ‒ Sir Curtis Price, former Principal, The Royal Academy of Music, London
Classical Music in Video is a comprehensive streaming video collection to support the study of classical music. It currently provides streaming access to more than 400 hours of video and will grow to 1,000 hours on completion, with new titles being regularly added.
A Comprehensive Video Collection
Classical Music in Video provides coverage in breadth and depth for classical music, and is relevant to a broad range of studies, including music history, music appreciation, music performance, analysis, and theory:
- Musical time periods from Medieval to the twenty-first century.
- Historical recordings from the 1950s up to the most current recordings today.
- Performances of all forms of music, including major orchestral performances by leading orchestras, plus chamber music, oratorio, and solo performances.
- Masterclasses and interviews with master teachers from around the world.
- Documentaries profiling classical artists and their work.
Classical Music in Video exclusively features the award-winning series from Masterclass Media Foundation, featuring world-class musicians teaching the performance of works with which they are associated. This series will cover all instrument groups, including singing and chamber music as well as conducting and composing, and is specially filmed with multiple camera angles to capture teacher commentary and performance techniques. The full set of 41 titles, plus new releases, is exclusively available in streaming video format to libraries through Alexander Street Press.
from: Maxim Vengerov: Bach 'Adagio and Fugue' from BWV 1001 (Masterclass Media Foundation, 2007)
Example masterclasses include:
- Maxim Vengerov – Carmen Fantasy, Op. 25 - View clip
- Stephen Kovacevich – Schubert impromptus
- Yuri Bashmet – Shostakovich Sonata for Viola and Piano Op. 147
- Evelyn Glennie – percussion masterclass - View clip
- Joan Rodgers – singing masterclass
- Hakan Hardenberger – trumpet masterclass
from: Joan Rodgers: Opera Arias – Singing Masterclass (Masterclass Media Foundation, 2008)
The Greatest Performances
Here are a sample of the acclaimed performers and recordings featured in Classical Music in Video:
- Artists: Claudio Abbado, Olga Borodina, Ileana Cotrubas, Hilary Hahn, Thomas Hampson, Radu Lupu, Karita Mattila, Margaret Leng Tan, Kiri Te Kanawa, Mitsuko Uchida, Pinchas Zuckerman, and many more.
- Performances: The Cleveland Orchestra at Carnegie Hall, The Dvořák Cycle with Prague Symphony Orchestra, Verbier Festival performances, Mozart Great Piano Concertos (with Mitsuko Uchida, André Previn, Radu Lupu), Morton Feldman string quartets, Morton Subotnick electronic works, The Pyongyang Concert performance of NY Philharmonic in North Korea, and many more.
- Rehearsals: Pierre Boulez (Vienna Philharmonic, 1988), Valery Gergiev (Rotterdam Philharmonic, 1996), Zubin Mehta (Israel Philharmonic, 1996), Christoph von Dohnányi (London Philharmonic, 1998), and John Eliot Gardner (Monteverdi Choir, 1999).
Powerful Teaching Resources
Our collections include a playlist functionality to enable educators to create, annotate and share thematic playlists of recordings to support their teaching needs.
|Combine all materials relevant to study in a single playlist|
Key Features of Classical Music in Video
- Subtitles: Text searchable in up to five languages
- Mobile Access: Stream to your mobile device/smartphone
- Transcripts: Searchable, scrolling transcripts for select videos with English translations of key vocal works to enhance navigation and access*.
- Index: Video thumbnails provide a visual table of contents for scanning hours of video in seconds
- Advanced Search: Additional options include genre, role, instrument, time period, venue, date of recording, and language
- Liner Notes: Available where possible.
- Custom Video Clips: Users can create, annotate and share clips from all video tracks.
- Custom Playlists: Create, annotate and share playlists, including ability to embed in third party websites.
- Permanent URLs: All videos, clips and playlists can be cited on permanent URLs.
- Cross-search: Video can be cross-searched alongside our related audio, video, scores, and reference material to provide a powerful tool for music research.
*Transcripts typically available within six to eight weeks of title posting.