5 million+ new tracks were just added to our streaming audio databases
5 MILLION+ TRACKS HAVE ARRIVED IN ALEXANDER STREET’S LISTENING COLLECTIONS
20,000+ Independent Labels Now Available at No Additional Cost
(ALEXANDRIA, VA) – Alexander Street Press has just added more than 5.2 million tracks to its award-winning streaming audio databases. Available to subscribing academic libraries worldwide—and offering up to 6.2 million tracks in many regions—the newly licensed content increases sixfold the listening portfolio at no additional cost.
Works come from a broad range of independent labels, with a large concentration in popular music. The tracks feature both emerging artists and well-known performers in an array of genres. Highlights include:
- 4 million independent popular music tracks—alternative rap, techno, metal, grunge, punk, Christian rock, and bubblegum pop
- 1.4 million world music tracks—Turkish folk, worldbeat, Indian Carnatic, and J-pop
- 390,000 American song tracks from performers including Roosevelt Sykes, B.B. King, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Al Dexter & His Troopers, and Kenny Rogers
- 396,000 classical tracks featuring Bjorling, Andre Previn, Berlin Philharmonic, Luciano Pavarotti, Georgi Badev, Glenn Gould, and more
- 441,000 jazz tracks from greats like Count Basie, Ahmad Jamal Trio, Bix Beiderbecke, King Oliver, Sidney Bechet, Zoot Sims, Frank Sinatra, and Billie Holiday
The full suite of new tracks is now available to academic customers that currently subscribe to Music Online: Listening or Music Online: Premium. Relevant tracks have also been incorporated into Alexander Street Press’s individual listening collections—American Song, Classical Music Library, Contemporary World Music, and Jazz Music Library—completely free to subscribing academic institutions.
All tracks are delivered on Alexander Street Press’s cutting-edge online platform, which provides dozens of powerful tools and features designed for music study and appreciation, including:
- Cross-searchability. Search new tracks alongside preexisting audio.
- Semantic facet browsing. Narrow results by discipline, release date, language, label, performer, and more.
- High-definition audio. Stream tracks at up to CD quality (320kbps).
- Waveform view. Use the audio waveform view to create and share precise audio clips.
- And much more.
“Since the beginning, Alexander Street Press has been dedicated to delivering the widest range of musical content to support academic study,” said Liz Dutton, music editor at Alexander Street Press. “We hope that by providing this trove of content free to our customers, our collections will continue to inspire new discoveries and learning opportunities for all of our patrons worldwide.”
Alexander Street’s listening collections are available to academic libraries worldwide via annual subscription. No special setup or software is required—all you need is an Internet browser. For more information or to request a trial or price quote, email sales [at] alexanderstreet [dot] com.
About Alexander Street Press
Alexander Street Press pairs exclusive content with the latest technology to deliver customizable products and services to libraries and their patrons worldwide. We blend video, audio, and text with cutting-edge online tools to transform the way people research, learn, and teach in virtually every discipline.
Contact for Media Inquiries/Reviewer Access:
Abby Horowitz, Marketing Writer
Alexander Street Press
3212 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
703-212-8520 x 313
ahorowitz [at] alexanderstreet [dot] com