Alexander Street Joins the ProQuest Family of Companies FAQ
Who is Alexander Street?
Alexander Street is a leading provider of streaming videos and music as well as award-winning primary source collections to libraries globally. The company has a full range of video content with more news, performances, ethnographies, instructional video, documentaries and TV programs than any other library provider. Alexander Street’s videos support key disciplines such as psychology, news, social science, medical (including nursing education) and the visual arts (including performance and design).
Why has Alexander Street agreed to join the ProQuest family of companies?
The companies’ complementary content will enrich researchers’ experiences. Alexander Street’s valuable video, music and unique primary source collections are rich complements to ProQuest’s extensive aggregation of content, which encompasses nearly a billion searchable items in 20 academic disciplines as well as 270 million pages of historical primary source collections. Together, the companies will deliver an extraordinary and diverse range of content that connects text and video, improving contextual and serendipitous discovery.The collected experiences of ProQuest and Alexander Street will generate more innovation in the development of new solutions, purchase models, and content collections.
How will this affect how ProQuest works with publishers?
ProQuest will provide an improved and broader distribution channel to publishers, music and video suppliers and film producers of all sizes, generating more usage for their content and exposure for their brands.
How will this affect ProQuest customers and users?
Customers will continue to have the product solutions they know and trust from both ProQuest and Alexander Street with no disruption to their institutions. We remain committed to providing the highest quality of customer care and support to both ProQuest and Alexander Street customers.
- Researchers will have seamless access to video in the ProQuest platform within the context of their research, providing more comprehensive retrieval of relevant information in a single search.
- Streaming media is a growing part of the academic experience, and Alexander Street makes it easy for video and audio to be part of the curriculum. Connecting Alexander Street’s in-demand content and ProQuest’s extensive aggregated content, books and workflow and research tools will deliver more value and enable better outcomes for research and learning for our customers around the world.
How will this affect Alexander Street customers and users?
Alexander Street’s mission to “make silent voices heard” through its unique content sources will be expanded and accelerated.
- ProQuest’s global distribution network will introduce more libraries to Alexander Street’s unique content, much of it previously unpublished.
- ProQuest’s expertise in the development of intuitive interfaces and powerful analytics will enable Alexander Street to deliver more value to researchers and libraries worldwide.
ProQuest will support and enhance the products libraries and researchers rely on. Alexander Street’s unique collections will be maintained and enriched with new and current titles matching institutions’ curriculum needs.
- Investing in audiovisual research experiences: ProQuest will invest in Alexander Street’s video and music services. As well as the usual purchase and subscription models, ProQuest will enhance the innovative purchase options Alexander Street has introduced to libraries, including patron-driven acquisition with flexible pricing to accommodate individual libraries and subscribe-to-own.
- Aligning historical collections: We will apply the expertise of both companies in the development of historical collections, and continue to create new products that contain unique primary sources to empower students, faculty and other researchers to achieve better research and learning outcomes.
- Enhancing Open Community Collaborations: We are committed to enhancing Alexander Street’s recently launched “Open Music Library,” an open network of digital resources for the study of music. This unique model combines community collaboration with a curated mix of premium and publicly available content.
What’s next now that the companies have made this announcement?
Alexander Street will be known as, “Alexander Street, a ProQuest Company.” It will maintain its headquarters in Alexandria, Virginia. The business will continue to be led by Stephen Rhind-Tutt and his management team, including Eileen Lawrence, David Parker and Andrea Eastman-Mullins. Stephen Rhind-Tutt will join ProQuest, reporting to Rafael Sidi, SVP and General Manager, ProQuest Information Solutions.
I have a few questions. Who should I contact and how?
At ProQuest, there is nothing that we value more than the input we receive from our customers and partners.
- If you are a current customer of ours or are affiliated with a customer institution, we invite you to share your questions and comments with your Customer Care or Account team representatives. Alternatively, you may submit your comments or questions via our Customer Care website at http://www.proquest.com/contact/contact-landing.html.
- If you are a member of the industry trade press or a news media organization, please contact Beth Dempsey via email at Beth.Dempsey@proquest.com.
Read the Press Release