Letter from the President — Stephen Rhind-Tutt
- We do great work. We build landmark collections that pull together content from all over the place in all kinds of formats. That’s not just our opinion – we’ve won lots of awards. It feels good to do good work.
- We’re passionate about what we do. Collectively we’re into film, music, opera, theatre, comics, literature, metadata, agile development, hiking, cricket, and lots more. We know we’re lucky to be working on things we like.
- We’re creative and we innovate – we were the first company to do dedicated streaming video databases for libraries, the first to do a comics database for libraries, the first to publish actual psychotherapy sessions as a database. We like to find ways of doing things first and better.
- We’re agile. We know speed counts. We won’t make you do 30-page business plans that need to get reviewed endlessly by management simply because ‘that’s the way it’s done here’. We believe in getting on with things.
- There are lots of opportunities to contribute. More than 60% of our managers were internal promotions. Wherever possible we aim to hire from within. We’re growing at double-digit rates even in this recession. We’ve got lots of work we need to do!
- We’re professional, but we’re not corporate. If you insist on business-class travel, expect to stay in 5-star hotels, need a big office, etc… then we’re probably not right for you. We favor substance over style.
- We believe in open communication. We like people to tell it as it is, even if it’s a bit uncomfortable. “Say what you mean, mean what you say.” Those who speak out are welcome!
- We let people take ownership - no matter what their role. Our part-time receptionist created a recycling program on her own initiative.
- We’re a team. The whole company (all 120 of us, including the US, Chinese, and UK teams) get together at least once a year to celebrate and learn. Check out this page on Flickr to see what the last event was like.
- We’re always learning. We’re not defensive. We’re good at what we do, but know that there are always ways to improve (send your suggestions on this letter, please, to the e-mail below).
If this sounds like you, please check out our job listings and get in touch!
President, Alexander Street Press, LLC.