- About Us
- Our Team
- News & Events
- Articles & Presentations
- Career Opportunities
- Contact Us
- Products and Services
- Product Listing A-Z
- Public Library
- Art and Architecture
- Black History and Literature
- Counseling and Therapy
- Criminal Justice
- Environmental Science
- Health Sciences
- LGBT studies
- Performing Arts, Theatre & Film
- Political Science
- Religion and Social Thought
- Women's History and Literature
- Video Collections
- Support Center
- Press Room
- Free Resources
- Single Titles
- Contact Us
Art and Architecture in Video
Art and Architecture in Video, an online streaming film collection, delivers over 500 hours of documentaries and interviews illustrating the theory and practice of a variety of art forms and providing the context necessary for critical analysis. Ideal for both undergraduate and graduate courses, the works within this collection offer a dynamic tool to enhance understanding of visual media.
The collection spans period and region, including coverage of the Renaissance, Neoclassicism, Romanticism, Modern, and Contemporary art. In addition to art history and theory, the collection addresses applied topics such as architectural and graphic design. The breadth of coverage makes this collection integral to both scholarship and technique, providing access to information about the seminal artists and works that continue to inspire the painters, architects, designers, and critics of today.
Notable selections will include
- The Michael Blackwood Film Collection, an internationally acclaimed compilation of surveys and monographs documenting innovations in art and architecture. Key works include:
- Beyond Utopia: Changing Attitudes in American Architecture, which focuses on postmodernist architecture through the lens of Philip Johnson and his protégés.
- Mind Over Matter, capturing interviews with six conceptual artists as they discuss their work on exhibit at the Whitney Museum.
- Art in an Age of Mass Culture, a film conceived as a response to the much discussed Museum of Modern Art exhibition High & Low: High Art and Popular Culture.
- Icons of 20th Century Design, a series that analyses the conception and impact of world renowned design elements for companies such as Coca Cola and Volkswagen.
- Sculptures of the Louvre, a series highlighting the famed museum’s great masterpieces and their historical contexts. (Available in the US only.)
- The Emperor’s Eye: Art and Power in Imperial China, a documentary that brings to light the priceless treasures of China’s Imperial art collection, relating them to the political climate of their time.
Access points for research and discovery
Browse by people, themes, and topics. View videos by filmmaker, country of origin, production date, producer, and other features. More than 15 combinable search fields let you cross-search all video transcripts, liner notes, bibliographic data (including producer, series, title, country of origin, publication date, narrator, production staff, and more), and many other indexed fields, including person discussed, year discussed, and all of the browse options listed above.
Functionality for scholarship and classroom use
- Synchronized, searchable transcripts run alongside each video.
- Visual tables of contents let you quickly scan each video.
- Permanent URLs let users cite and share video.
- An embeddable video player lets libraries and instructors deliver video content to other users on secure Web site pages or via course management systems.
- Rich playlist functionality lets users create, annotate, and organize clips and include links to other content.
- Permissions for in-class, on-campus, and remote-access viewing are all included in the license terms.
Art and Architecture in Video is an online collection available to academic, public, and school libraries worldwide via subscription or one-time purchase of perpetual rights. No special setup or software is required—all you need is an Internet browser. For more information, or to request a trial or price quote, please email sales [at] alexanderstreet [dot] com.