We’ve launched a powerful new interface for a number of our video and audio products. Collections now available on the new interface include:
All other Alexander Street Press collections will be made available on the new interface on a rolling basis over the next 12 months.
The first features are now available, with many more launching over the 2013–2014 academic year. Current customers will continue to have access to the existing interface and functionality for several months after each collection becomes available on the new interface. We know that you want a choice of when to switch over, so we’ll give you a good, long window. After this introductory period ends, the current URLs will redirect to the new URLs. Should you decide to make the switch sooner, you can do so using the new URLs that appear in the list below.
Here’s what you can experience in the first release:
- Powerful faceted browsing capabilities: Browse content with “smart facets” that change as you search, allowing you quickly to find exactly what you’re looking for. It’s as if the interface knows what you’re asking.
- A new video player and toolbar that lets you bookmark your place in a video, choose between multiple layouts; and bit-rate streaming that automatically adjusts to the highest quality file the user’s bandwidth can support. This is all in addition to the functionality you expect in Alexander Street video: thumbnails, visual table of contents, and clip and playlist creation.
- A waveform view on our audio player pages that lets you view the music being played and create, annotate, and share audio clips.
- Discipline- and genre-based landing pages with featured content and editorially-curated playlists.
- The ability to translate every page, liner note, and transcript into dozens of languages using Google Translate.
- Tools for exporting citations in MLA, Chicago, and APA formats.
And here’s what will be available on the new interface over the next year:
- A dedicated smartphone app, in addition to the “send to mobile” tool you’re already using.
- Outbound discovery—your Alexander Street content will link out to select Internet archives, greatly expanding the content available to your users at no charge, and all semantically indexed to make it cross-searchable with the other Alexander Street content.
- Fully text-searchable liner notes displayed along select albums.
- Most content within the music video products will have searchable, scrolling transcripts alongside the videos.
- Dedicated learning object apps that let you:
- Develop online quizzes
- Create digital study guides
- Build timelines
Your existing Alexander Street homepages for all of these collections will remain available and functioning for several months to allow you to become acquainted with the new interface. For those who’d like to change their links sooner, the new URL for each collection appears below.
New Interface URL: Available Now
MARC Records Forward to New Interface
|American Song||http://amso.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/amso||January 7, 2013|
|Art and Architecture in Video||http://artv.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/artv||January 7, 2013|
|Asian Film Online||http://asiapacificfilms.com||http:// search.alexanderstreet.com/asiv||January 7, 2013|
|Black Studies in Video||http://blsv.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/blsv||January 7, 2013|
|Classical Music in Video||http://clmv.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/clmv||January 7, 2013|
|Classical Music Library||http://clmu.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/clmu||January 7, 2013|
|Classical Scores Library: Volume I||http://shmu.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/shmu||January 7, 2013|
|Classical Scores Library: Volume II||http://shm2.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/shm2||January 7, 2013|
|Classical Scores Library: Volume III||Launches on new interface||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/shm3||Available Now|
|Contemporary World Music||http://womu.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/womu||January 7, 2013|
|Counseling and Therapy in Video: Volume I||http://ctiv.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/ctiv||January 7, 2013|
|Counseling and Therapy in Video: Volume II||http://ctv2.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/ctv2||January 7, 2013|
|Counseling and Therapy in Video: Volume III||http://ctv3.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/ctv3||January 7, 2013|
|Criminal Justice and Public Safety in Video||http://lawv.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/lawv||January 7, 2013|
|Dance in Video: Volume I||http://daiv.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/daiv||January 7, 2013|
|Dental Education in Video||http://dntl.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/dntl||January 7, 2013|
|Education in Video||http://ediv.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/ediv||January 7, 2013|
|Engineering Case Studies Online||Launches on new interface||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/engv||Available Now|
|Environmental Studies in Video||Launches on new interface||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/ennv||Available Now|
|Ethnographic Video Online: Volume I||http://anth.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/anth||January 7, 2013|
|Ethnographic Video Online: Volume II||http://ant2.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/ant2||January 7, 2013|
|Global Business and Economics Online||http://busv.alexanderstreet.com||http:// search.alexanderstreet.com/busv||January 7, 2013|
|Health and Society in Video||http://hlth.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/hlth||January 7, 2013|
|Jazz Music Library||http://jazz.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/jazz||January 7, 2013|
|LGBT Studies in Video||http://gltv.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/gltv||January 7, 2013|
|New World Cinema||http://feat.alexanderstreet.com||http:// search.alexanderstreet.com/feat||January 7, 2013|
|Opera in Video||http://opiv.alexanderstreet.com/||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/opiv||January 7, 2013|
|Rehabilitation Therapy in Video||http://rtiv.alexanderstreet.com/||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/rtiv||January 7, 2013|
|Silent Film Online||http://silf.alexanderstreet.com||http:// search.alexanderstreet.com/silf||January 7, 2013|
|Smithsonian Global Sound for Libraries||http://glmu.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/glmu||January 7, 2013|
|Sports Medicine and Exercise Science in Video||http://spex.alexanderstreet.com/||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/spex||January 7, 2013|
|VAST: Academic Video Online||http://vast.alexanderstreet.com||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/vast||January 7, 2013|
|Veterinary Education in Video||Launches on new interface||http://search.alexanderstreet.com/vets||January 7, 2013|
If you want to begin using the new functionality right away on an institution-wide basis, please do note that you’ll need to change the URL in your LibGuides and other resources. If you wait until the end of your introductory period for the global switchover to the new interface, the URLs that you’re currently using will simply redirect to the new platform. MARC records and discovery services will start redirecting to the new interface only once you’ve had time to become acquainted with it (read more below).
There is no need to change URLs immediately; each existing site will stay there for several months after the new site become available. But we are confident you and your users will want to use the new sites right away—we think they are that good.
Permalinks and embed codes
After the introductory period for each collection has passed, all permanent URLs will redirect to the new interface and all embedded code will continue to function as it always has.
- Windows: Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher, Firefox 3.0 or higher, and Google Chrome 1.0 or higher.
- Mac OS X: Safari 1.0 or higher, Firefox 3.0 or higher, and Google Chrome 1.0 or higher.
You will not need to delete or reload MARC records. The existing MARC records will continue to direct users to the existing URLs. When a user clicks through to the resource, a banner will indicate that a newer version of the site is available and will tell users how to access it if they wish. Following each collection’s introductory period, all MARC records will redirect to the new interface. All MARC records created until that point will direct users to the existing interface; all MARC records added after that time will direct to the new interface.
If you use Primo, EDS, Summon, or WorldCat discovery services, users will be directed to the existing interface until the end of the introductory period, at which point the URLs will direct users to the new interface.
Playlists and clips
You can continue to create and access playlists and clips on both the current and forthcoming interfaces, so your users won’t need to remember where they created their playlists. They can access their playlists from either site.
We now offer a new usage stats portal to obtain your institution’s usage information of collections on our new interface. This portal offers many benefits, including COUNTER-compliant reports, SUSHI-enabled reports, and customized reports you can export by title, subject, and collection. This is the only site to report usage on the new interface.
To access the new stats portal visit http://admin.alexanderstreet.com.
If you already have an account on the existing stats website, you may use those log in credentials on this site.
If you need to create an account on the new portal, please contact us at support [at] alexanderstreet [dot] com.
Please note that if your institution has not started using the new interface, you will not see any usage on this portal. For a list of all the collections that are currently available on the new interface, please visit our interface FAQ. As collections are added to the new interface, you will be able to access their usage stats through the new portal.
The existing stats website is still available to track usage on the “old” interface at http://stats.alexanderstreet.com. If some patrons are using the new interface and some are using the old interface, you will need to obtain stats from both sites until everyone is using the new interface.
Usage Statistics Legend
For terms and definitions related to the NEW stats portal, please see Appendix A of the COUNTER Code of Practice for eResources.
For terms and definitions relating to the existing stats portal, please see below.
- Playbacks: any streaming of an audio or video file, regardless of duration.
- Searches: any page generated through a search (quick search box, advanced search box, prelimits, manipulated URLs) or browse pages accessed.
- Session: any interaction between Alexander Street Press’ systems and a specific IP, with the end session defined as “no activity for 5:00.”
- Pageview: recorded for every page generated in the user interfaces, from homepages and the advanced search page, to video/audio work pages and composer pages.
- Peak SU: the highest number of simultaneous users during the period reported. So, “2” would mean that the most customers using the database at the same time at the institution was 2.
- Turnaways: indicates that a user was rejected access because the maximum number of simultaneous users had been reached.
We’re adding new content all the time. To let you view the new music and videos in the best way, we’ll add content updates only on the new sites. When all these new features are introduced, lots of new content will be coming with them so be sure to check out the new site to explore all of it.
When will this interface be available on my other Alexander Street collections?
We’ll make all our collections—video, music, and text—available on this new interface over the next 12 months. We’re rolling them out on an iterative basis to allow us to respond quickly to customer needs, and we’ll soon share with you a schedule of what products will be available on the new interface when. We’ll always provide at least a several-month window to allow you time to become comfortable with the new features and are developing video tutorials and other resources to help you train your users.
Please contact your account rep or email at sales [at] alexanderstreet [dot] com with any questions, suggestions, or comments.