- Products and Services
- Product Listing A-Z
- What's New
- Australia & New Zealand
- Counseling and Therapy
- Dance and Music
- Science and Medicine
- Social Sciences
- Resource Center
- Press Room
- Single Titles
- Contact Us
Music Online: Listening - Package
"Music Online is the LexisNexis of music, and it may make the use of many traditional library resources unnecessary."—Booklist
A Booklist 2009 Editors' Choice for Best Reference
Music Online: Listening is the most comprehensive and highest quality streaming audio collection to support the teaching and research of music. It currently provides streaming access to over 6 million tracks, including over 45,000 unique recordings that are exclusively available through Alexander Street Press, and is growing monthly as new recordings are added.
The Most Comprehensive Audio Collection
Music Online: Listening provides coverage in breadth and depth across all the key musical genres:
The Greatest Artists
Here is a sample of the acclaimed artists that feature in our recordings:
- Classical: Glenn Gould, Placido Domingo, Maria Callas, Claudio Abbado, Olga Borodina, Ileana Cotrubas, Hilary Hahn, Thomas Hampson, Radu Lupu, Karita Mattila, Margaret Leng Tan, Kiri Te Kanawa, Mitsuko Uchida, Pinchas Zuckerman.
- Jazz: Bing Crosby, Buddy Guy, Charlie Parker, Chuck Mangione, Dinah Washington, Diana Krall, Dixie Dregs, Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, Sonny Rollins, Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonius Monk, Stan Getz.
- World: Ali Jihad Racy, Adama Dramé, Carlos Do Carmo, Parisa, Tran Quang Haï, Katrien Delavier, Hussein El Masry, Rassegna, Oedo Sukeroku Taiko, El Son Entero, Simon Shaneem, I Wayan Sadra, and Fawzy Al-Aiedy.
- American: Pete Seeger, Isaac Hayes, Al Jackson, Booker T. Jones, Robert Byrd, Memphis Slim, Otis Redding, BB King, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Sweet Honey in the Rock.
- Popular: Gloria Gaynor, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Kool & The Gang, Edith Piaf, Rod Stewart, The Sex Pistols, A Flock of Seagulls, Tanya Tucker, Naughty by Nature, Wu-Tang Clan, Liberace.
Unique, Rare, and Exclusive Recordings
We ensure our collections include the valuable recordings needed to support effective teaching and research, including:
- EMI: Almost 50,000 recordings featuring labels such as Blue Note, Virgin Classics, Angel Records, Capitol Records, Chrysalis, and Narada.
- Universal: Nearly 10,000 recordings featuring labels like Verve, Motown, A&M, Decca, Polygram, MCA, and Island Def Jam.
- Smithsonian: More than 40,000 recordings exclusively available from the Smithsonian’s archives, including the entire output of Smithsonian Folkways Recordings, Folkways Records, Cook Records, Dyer-Bennet Records, Fast Folk, Monitor Records, and Paredon Records.
- Archives: Unique and previously unpublished recordings from important archives including the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress, the International Library of African Music (ILAM) at Rhodes University in South Africa, and the Archive Research Centre for Ethnomusicology (ARCE) in India.
- Specially recorded: Exclusive audio recordings of hundreds of traditional American folk songs by acclaimed folklorist/folksinger Jerry Silverman.
About the Package
The Music Online: Listening package is available to libraries worldwide for subscription. Available content may differ by region. For more information about your region, please contact sales [at] alexanderstreet [dot] com. If you are a public library, click here for more information about our related collection, Music Online for Public Libraries.