- About Us
- Our Team
- News & Events
- Articles & Presentations
- Career Opportunities
- Contact Us
- Product Listing A-Z
- Public Library
- Art and Architecture
- Black History and Literature
- Counseling and Therapy
- Criminal Justice
- Health Sciences
- LGBT studies
- Performing Arts, Theatre & Film
- Political Science
- Religion and Social Thought
- Women's History and Literature
- Video Collections
- Support Center
- Customer & Technical Support
- Request a Product Trial
- Free Resources
- Contact Your Account Rep
- By Library Region
- Global Distributors
- License Info
- FAQs and Troubleshooting
- Discovery and MARC records
- New Alexander Street Press Interface FAQ
- Music Online Feature Overview 2013
- VAST: Academic Video Online Feature Overview 2013
- Press Room
- Free Resources
- Single Titles
- Contact Us
Nursing Education in Video
"Outstanding Academic Title 2012" Award Winner! -CHOICE
"Highly recommended. . . Outstanding interface and features." -CHOICE
"The quality of the video recordings is excellent. . . The content of Nursing Education in Video is current." -The Journal of the Medical Library Association
Imagine using a textbook to learn how to insert an IV or draw blood from the arm of a sick patient. Or consider how difficult it would be to grasp the acoustic characteristics typical of a systolic as opposed to a diastolic heart murmur without actually hearing the difference. Video is the ideal training medium for one of the most practical of professions, giving nursing students a way to observe highly technical procedures and complex patient interactions before practicing in a clinical setting.
The result of Alexander Street’s partnership with Medcom-Trainex, one of the largest providers of nursing education video programs worldwide, Nursing Education in Video gives faculty and students anywhere-anytime access to Medcom’s highly regarded library of full-length training programs—online in streaming video—with all of the search power and advanced functionality that Alexander Street’s video collections deliver.
Already widely used in nursing courses and hospitals, Medcom videos have won more than 50 major awards for excellence, including the prestigious Emmy award. As a single, cross-searchable collection, Nursing Education in Video covers the fundamentals of nurse training and advanced topics. Subject areas and sample titles include:
- Anatomy and Physiology: The Nervous System; The Muscular System; The Reproductive System
- Basic Clinical Skills: Admission and Discharge; The Charting Process; Measuring Vital Signs; Administering Medications; Lifting and Moving the Patient
- Cardiology: EKG Interpretation and Response; Advanced Cardiac Monitoring; CPR: New Guidelines for Healthcare
- Communications: Nurse-Patient Relationships; Cultural Awareness in Healthcare; The Challenge of Healthcare Literacy
- Gerontology: A Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment; Gerontology: Meeting Mental Health Needs; Recognizing Elder Abuse
- Infection Control: Standards for Infection Control; Pandemic Influenza; Aseptic Nursing Technique in the OR
- Legal Aspects of Nursing: Nursing Negligence: Protect Yourself, Protect Your Patients; Medication Errors; HIPAA for Healthcare Workers: The Privacy Rule
- Long Term Care: Resident Assessment: Physical Functioning; Meeting the Diabetes Challenge; Fall Prevention
- Medication Administration: Parenteral Medication Administration; Heart Medications; Moderate or Procedural Sedation; Case Studies in Medication Error Prevention
- Nursing Assistant Skills: Transfer and Ambulation; Recognizing Abnormal Signs and Symptoms; Techniques in Bathing
- Obstetrical Nursing: Labor and Delivery; Electronic Fetal Monitoring; Assisted Delivery and Cesarean Section; Pain Control
- Pediatrics: Medicating Children; Physical Assessment of a Child; Recognizing Child Abuse
- Surgical Care: Surgical Wound Care; Closed Suction Wound Drainage, Wound Irrigation, and Specimen Collection
- Wound Care: Phases of Healing and Types of Wounds; Normal and Impaired Healing; Pressure Ulcers
Under the guidance of Medcom’s editorial board, the videos in this collection are regularly reviewed for accuracy and are updated to reflect the most current, best-practice standards from healthcare professional organizations, such as the Joint Commission and the AORN, and compliance with federal regulations from agencies such as OSHA and CMS. Each quarter, subscribers will gain access to 5-10 new and/or updated videos: as nursing evolves, so too does Nursing Education in Video.
The content in this collection is also accredited by the American Nurses Credentialing Center—the gold standard for nursing content accreditation.
Functionality for scholarship and classroom use include:
- Watch videos on the go with mobile access via most handheld devices.
- Synchronized, searchable transcripts run alongside each video.
- Visual tables of contents let you quickly scan each video.
- Permanent URLs let users cite and share video.
- An embeddable video player lets libraries and instructors deliver video content to other users on secure Web site pages or via course management systems.
- Rich playlist functionality lets users create, annotate, and organize clips and include links to other content.
- Permissions for in-class, on-campus, and remote-access viewing are all included in the terms of the subscription, as are no-fee public performance rights
Nursing Education in Video is an online collection available to libraries and educational institutions worldwide via subscription or one-time purchase of perpetual rights. No special setup or software is required—all you need is an Internet connection. For more information, to request a free trial, or for a price quote, please email sales [at] alexanderstreet [dot] com