- Products and Services
- Product Listing A-Z
- Public Library
- Art and Architecture
- Black History and Literature
- Counseling and Therapy
- Criminal Justice
- Environmental Science
- Health Sciences
- LGBT studies
- Performing Arts, Theatre & Film
- Political Science
- Religion and Social Thought
- Women's History and Literature
- Video Collections
- Support Center
- Press Room
- Free Resources
- Single Titles
- Contact Us
Academic Video Online: Premium
Academic Video Online: Premium is Alexander Street’s most comprehensive video subscription, an ever-growing resource that comprises content from 33 full video collections and 8 bonus discipline clusters. Academic Video Online: Premium currently contains more than 34,000 full video titles (not just clips) and well over 20,000 hours of content.
Academic Video Online: Premium is designed to bring the highest-quality video content to the broadest range of subject areas. The collection builds off of the multidisciplinary focus of VAST: Academic Video Online, Alexander Street’s flagship video product that provides a selection of key content from more than two dozen best-selling video collections. Academic Video Online: Premium takes scholarship one step further by providing access to the entire portfolio of content from each of these collections.
Collections that are available in their entirety as part of Academic Video Online: Premium are:
*Content not available in all territories
On top of the full content of these databases, Academic Video Online: Premium contains eight academic clusters—more than 3,000 hours of content—that are available exclusively to Premium and VAST subscribers. These include:
Titles in every collection and cluster within Academic Video Online: Premium have been carefully selected to meet departmental needs and include documentaries, interviews, performances, news programs and newsreels, field recordings, commercials, and raw footage. You’ll find thousands of award-winning films, including Academy® and Emmy® winners, the most frequently used films for classroom instruction, newly released films, and archival material previously unavailable.
Many of our collections have been acknowledged as among the best in their field. In recent years, Alexander Street Press video collections have received Library Journal’s 2011 and 2012 “Best Reference” awards; the 2011 Booklist Editors’ Choice award; and dozens of “recommended” and “highly recommended” reviews from publications including Choice, Library Journal, Library Media Connection, and Notes.
Academic Video Online: Premium’s interface comes equipped with an array of tools to enhance research, teaching, and learning. Key features include:
- Mobile Access: Stream videos instantly to your mobile device.
- Transcripts: View searchable, scrolling transcripts alongside a majority of titles.
- Thumbnail view: Use the visual table of contents to scan hours of video in seconds.
- Deep semantic indexing: Content is deeply indexed by discipline-relevant fields—facets including things like composer, performer, place discussed, and therapy type.
- Clipping functionality: Users can easily create, annotate, and share video clips and playlists, and can embed them in third-party sites.
- Permanent URLs: All videos, clips and playlists can be cited at permanent URLs.
- HD-quality player: A video player with a 16:9 aspect ratio that streams up to 2.5 mbps to allow for optimized high-definition viewing
- Cross-search: All video within Academic Video Online: Premium is cross-searchable through one easy-to-use portal.
- Comprehensive permissions cover in-class, on-campus, and remote viewing.
Academic Video Online: Premium is available on Alexander Street Press’s new enhanced interface. For more information on the dozens of new features—including semantic facet browsing, in-depth library usage statistics, translation into 65 languages, discipline-specific landing pages, and customizable learning objects—visit our new feature overview.
How does Academic Video Online: Premium stack up?
|Academic Video Online: Premium||Leading Competitor’s Product|
|Number of Titles||34,000+||14,000|
|Full-length Titles in Humanities and Social Sciences||20,000+||8,000+|
|Video Streaming Rates||Up to 2.5 mbps||Up to 1.5 mbps|
|Interactive Transcripts||12,000+ titles||Transcripts where available|
|MARC Records||Majority of titles indexed for up to 50 fields||Select MARC records where available|
|Browse/Search Capabilities||Semantic facet browsing||Standard subject browsing|
|Collaborative Academic Community||Share and collaborate on clips, playlists, and other content||Not available|
A sampling of the dozens of high-caliber content partners included in Academic Video Online: Premium*
*Partner content not available in all territories.
Academic Video Online: Premium is available by subscription to academic libraries worldwide. No special setup or software is required—all you need is a Web browser. To request a free trial or price quote, or to learn about the thousands of additional titles available in Alexander Street Press’s discipline-specific collections, please email sales [at] alexanderstreet [dot] com. For more information about curating your own multidisciplinary collection, please visit our evidence-based acquisition page.