- Products and Services
- Product Listing A-Z
- What's New
- Australia & New Zealand
- Counseling and Therapy
- Dance and Music
- Science and Medicine
- Social Sciences
- Resource Center
- Press Room
- Single Titles
- Contact Us
Academic Video Online: Premium
Academic Video Online: Premium is the largest and most comprehensive video subscription available to libraries. It delivers over 45,000 video titles spanning essential subject areas, including anthropology, business, counseling, history, music, film, science, and more. Over half of the titles can be found only at Alexander Street.
The massive breadth of content in Academic Video Online: Premium makes it a useful resource for all types of patrons, giving libraries a high return on investment.
The collection represents content from over 1,500 leading distributors, producers, and filmmakers. Some of the top names include:
Major exclusive partnerships include Insight Media and Microtraining Associates. In addition, we provide thousands of titles from producers like the BBC and Danish Radio that are unique to Alexander Street.
Breadth of content
Academic Video Online: Premium includes every kind of video material available with curricular relevance: documentaries, interviews, performances, news programs and newsreels, field recordings, commercials, and raw footage. Patrons will find thousands of award-winning films, including Academy®, Emmy®, and Peabody® winners. Academic institutions will find the most frequently used films for classroom instruction, plus newly released films and previously unavailable archival material.
Academic Video Online: Premium covers all disciplines and subject areas, with specific strengths in:
In addition, we provide content in nursing, allied health, criminal justice, engineering, and science.
For each of these subject areas, we offer:
- The most titles. This database includes substantially more content than any other resource available. Topics are covered in more depth, and editors cover every aspect of the field.
- The best titles. Exclusive titles and series are included like Meet the Press, The Videofashion Library, The March of Time Newsreel Series, Obedience (Milgram), and the full set of Microtraining titles. Additionally, we have thousands of curricular titles produced specifically for the education market to be used in instruction.
- Departmental landing pages and subject functionality. Each subject has a unique URL that allows departments to conduct searches specific to their fields. Plus, users can search and browse with subject-specific indexing. For example, users can browse titles by ethnic group in anthropology or by performer in dance.
Here is a small sample of the many top titles exclusive to Alexander Street:
Learning and search tools
In addition to the breadth and depth of content, Academic Video Online: Premium offers a wide range of platform tools for learning, research, and teaching, including:
- Learning segments. More than 11,500 learning segments make it easy for instructors to find and integrate specific video content into the classroom and help users get to the right content faster. Each segment is fully searchable and includes an abstract, making user selection even easier.
- Transcripts. Users view searchable, scrolling transcripts alongside more than 95% of titles.
- Clipping functionality. Users can easily create, annotate, and share video clips and playlists, and can embed them in third-party sites.
- Permanent URLs. All videos, clips, and playlists can be cited at permanent URLs, making integration with any learning management system easy.
- HD-quality player. A video player with a 16:9 aspect ratio that streams up to 2.5 mbps allows for optimized high-definition viewing.
- Comprehensive permissions. Our platform enables in-class, on-campus, and remote viewing.
For more information on Alexander Street’s newly enhanced interface and features—including semantic facet browsing, in-depth library usage statistics, translation into 65 languages, discipline-specific landing pages, and customizable learning objects—visit our feature overview.
Academic Video Online: Premium contains a full suite of library tools including:
Academic Video Online: Premium contains the full contents of more than 27 Alexander Street collections—many acknowledged as the best in the field by industry reviews. Customers receive access to all the titles and functionality of those collections.
One-hundred percent of the content in the following collections is included:
|Video content or a selection of video content from the following collections is also included:|
*Content not available in all territories.
How does Academic Video Online: Premium stack up?
|Academic Video Online||Closest Competitor|
|Total # of Titles||45,000+||23,000+|
|Content Overlap||less than 20% overlap with closest competitor|
|Publishers Found in One Not Other||Insight Media, Filmakers Library, Microtraining Associates, DER, Healthy Learning, Stanley Milgrim, Dallas Telecourses*, Center for New American Media*, Learning Seed, Videofashion||Films for the Humanities, Shopware, TED Talks, Wide Angle, Cambridge, Meridian, Falling Walls|
|Streaming Quality||Player capable of streaming up to 2.5 mbps||Player capable of streaming up to 1.5 mbps|
|On-Screen Captions/Subtitles||English-language subtitles where appropriate; on-screen transcripts *||Yes|
|Playlists||Yes||Yes (limited sharing options)|
|Embed Code for Blackboard/Moodle||Yes||Yes|
|MARC Records||Brief/Full for All Titles||Brief for All Titles|
|Semantic Facet Browsing||Yes||No|
|Cross-searchable with Other Collections||Yes||No|
|Unlimited media hosting and integration service for locally-held content included ($1000 value)||Yes||No|
Academic Video Online: Premium is available by subscription to libraries worldwide.