Alexander Street offers the most comprehensive suite of online products to support the teaching of classical music. In total, our collections provide access to over 250,000 audio recordings; 900 hours of video performances, masterclasses, and documentaries; more than 27,000 scores; and almost 50,000 pages of text reference. Highlights include:
- Audio and video recordings from acclaimed publishers including EMI, Hyperion, Haenssler, RPO, Coro, Lyrichord, Decca, and Deutsche Grammophon.
- Recordings from renowned artists like Glenn Gould, Placido Domingo, Maria Callas, and Itzhak Perlman.
- Great performances from opera houses across the world, including Deutsche Oper Berlin, Cologne Opera, La Scala, Drottningholm, Glyndebourne, Royal Opera, and San Francisco Opera.
- Video masterclasses featuring celebrated master teachers delivering expert coaching sessions.
- Contemporary scores from publishers like Boosey & Hawkes, Faber Music, Edition Peters, Universal Edition, A-R Editions, and more.
- Archival dance footage from the collections of the Merce Cunningham Dance Company, George Balanchine Interpreters Archive, and Archive of Lost Choreography, and Creative Arts Television.
- The authoritative Baker’s music reference series available for the first time electronically.
All classical music products are built around controlled vocabularies and indexing, providing a powerful tool for teaching and research. These include:
- 25,000+ works that can be browsed by composer, title, date of composition, genre, and more.
- 400+ distinct instrument categories.
- 150+ distinct classical genres and sub-genres.
- Data on 10,000+ individual composers and 100,000s+ of artists and ensembles