Alexander Street offers the most comprehensive suite of online audio recordings and reference material to support the teaching of jazz music, with coverage of all major genres including vocal jazz, bebop, acid jazz, big band music, and modern jazz. In total, they provide access to over 133,000 audio recordings andof pages of related reference materials. Highlights include:
- Audio recordings from acclaimed jazz labels including Verve, GRP Records, Impulse, Jazzology, American Music Records, Blue Note, G.H.B. Records, Black Swan, Solo Art, and Circle Records.
- Recordings featuring jazz greats such as Bing Crosby, Buddy Guy, Charlie Parker, Chuck Mangione, Dinah Washington, Diana Krall, Dixie Dregs, Ella Fitzgerald, and Etta James.
- Marian McPartland's Peabody Award-winning Piano Jazz Radio Broadcasts.
- Never-before-released performances from the Monterey Jazz Festival's 50-year history.
- Re-issues of Paramount's jazz recordings from the 1920s, including Johnny Dodds, Ma Rainey, and Charley Patton.
- Live recordings from great jazz venues of 1960s–today—The Black Hawk, The Five Spot, The Montreux Jazz Festival, The Village Vanguard, New York's Town Hall, The Newport Jazz Festival, The Apollo, The Blue Note, The Jazz Standard, and Birdland.
- Related reference texts including major reference works, personal narratives, interviews, and photographs.
All jazz music products are built around controlled vocabularies and indexing, providing a powerful tool for teaching and research. These include:
- 14,000+ distinct song titles.
- 100s of distinct instrument categories that can be browsed using a graphical interface.
- 200+ distinct genres and sub-genres.
- Data on 10,000s of artists and ensembles.